The gallery in the Strathcona Regional District third floor boardroom was filled to capacity as members of the public, media and staff gathered to witness the swearing in ceremony of the Board of Directors. Susan Sinnott, Barrister and Solicitor, was on site to administer the oath of office for all 13 new and returning directors, including:
- Jim Abram, Electoral Area ‘C’ (Discovery Islands-Mainland Inlets)
- Andy Adams, City of Campbell River
- Noba Anderson, Electoral area ‘B’ (Cortes Island)
- Michele Babchuk, City of Campbell River
- Julie Colborne, Village of Zeballos
- Charlie Cornfield, City of Campbell River
- Ron Kerr, City of Campbell River
- John MacDonald, Village of Sayward
- Larry Samson, City of Campbell River
- Jude Schooner, Village of Tahsis
- Brad Unger, Village of Gold River, and
- Gerald Whalley, Electoral Area ‘A’ (Kyuquot/Nootka – Sayward)
Returning Area ‘D’ (Oyster Bay-Buttle Lake) Director Brenda Leigh, unable to attend the meeting, was represented by her alternate, Vera Peacey, who made her oath of office as alternate director.
The first order of business saw the acclamation of Jim Abram, Area ‘C’ Director representing the Discovery Islands-Mainland Inlets, as Chair, and John MacDonald, Mayor of the Village of Sayward, as Vice Chair for the coming year. This is Chair Abram’s second consecutive year as Chair, and Director MacDonald’s first term as Vice Chair.
The Strathcona Regional District is a partnership of four electoral areas and five municipalities providing approximately 43,000 residents with 55 services including parks, liquid and solid waste systems, fire protection, emergency preparedness programs and a full-service sports facility.
– Contributed by the Strathcona Regional District.