Listen Live
HomeNewsHighlights: School trustee candidates speak about SOGI 123

Highlights: School trustee candidates speak about SOGI 123

CAMPBELL RIVER, B.C. – One of the main topics for this municipal election is the resource material SOGI 123, which was designed to help educators across B.C. to create inclusive classrooms for students who may identify as LGBTQ.

During question period at the school trustee candidates forum, a bulk of the questions submitted were related to SOGI but were put together into one: What are your views on SOGI?

Candidates had a minute to answer the question, if they chose to answer. The following are the highlights of their answers.

Christian Stapff

One of my son’s friends is currently going through a transition. So he’s transgender. I can tell you he dealt with anxiety and being different in the school system. He really struggled. And as a teacher, I would always say we need to make sure we make that students feel safe. And I know that that’s a hot button topic, and there’s a lot of fears around SOGI 123, but it’s absolutely important that we help 64% of students who are identifying as LGBT, who don’t feel currently safe in the classroom feel comfortable, feel safe. And also hopefully, address the issue of the suicide rate in that particular group which is 79 times higher, and we need to make sure we take care of that group.

Kat Eddy 

So when I first started campaigning for school board trustee, I knew SOGI 123 would be a touchstone issue, but I didn’t realize it was going to be as big as it is. I want you to know I fully support SOGI 123, that I believe in inclusive and welcoming environments for all our students and families. I think that acceptance in your community is your right, it’s your human right. I think our educators are professionals, they will not be using the resource of 3 – SOGI 3 – to indoctrinate our children. They will be using the resource in order to have respectful language to explain family differences to those kids in their classrooms.

Richard Franklin

I also support SOGI 123 because I know that part one is policies that protect human rights of children. Part two is facilities that are used, so bathrooms and change rooms – that’s really important. And of course, the lessons there are optional, teachers can use them. I really have never seen an issue so pondered than this in my 40 years in the school and I would say those brought in by the Liberal government, the last Liberal government, and I agree… it’s probably the most dramatic, pretty important and lots more work could’ve been done to help people understand (it). There’s always going to be folks standing against, but you know, the board listened carefully to both sides. We came up with a decision (interrupted, time was up). 

Joyce McMann

I’m glad Richard was able to get the 123 part of SOGI. The first part being the policy, the second part being the environmental scan, looking for ways that our facilities and the language we use in our facilities can accommodate everyone and the third part, which is the availability of resources that will help people both parents, there are parent resources and teacher resources there in order for people to better understand this sexual orientation and gender identity issue is. I would think schools need to be a place where everyone belongs. Belonging is the foundation to well-being. Looking around and seeing where you can be valued and you can be enjoyed by the people around you without having to hide who you are is critical to your moving forward into the world and being a citizen that can contribute.

Linda Jay 

The SOGI 123 curriculum, it’s a program that’s offered through the school district. There’s a lot of fear around it, but really our children learn from so much besides what they’re getting in school. Our kids are exposed to so much information, and what we want is for kids to feel safe as they’re growing up and to become themselves and parents first of all, your relationship with your children has to be the relationship that guides them the most.

Andrew Beaudin

My position is I’m against SOGI 123. You know, I am and have been part of the campaign to get information out to as many people as possible to the truth about SOGI 123. I’m not against SOGI, which is supposed to be an anti-bullying thing. And so that is not what I’m talking about here. The real problem is SOGI 123, which is not mandated, but a set of resources that has been taught in our schools and continue to be taught in our schools. It’s teaching values that not everybody agrees with. And I believe it continues there and will do great harm to our children and to families as a whole. Also, parents’ rights – these policies are connected with schools to be informed, in accordance with the orders of the minister of the students’ attendance, behaviour, and processes in school… the SOGI 123 policies directly oppose (interrupted, time was up)

Peter Sutherland

This is a very divisive issue. And I want to say that there are passionate people on both ends of the debate. I think the board has a responsibility to our children and community to hear and mediate some sort of solution and communicate to the community, and parents and the children. This is something that has escalated since the introduction of SOGI, and I think it’s peaked out and the board has the responsibility to listen to and satisfy the community. 

Manfred Hack

Sexual orientation and gender identity is not its own curriculum. It is one aspect of diversity that is including a cause of greys and subject areas. SOGI inclusive education is fundamental in learning to treating each other with dignity and respect, regardless of differences. I fully agree that we need to have respect for each other, but SOGI 123? No. Especially, pre-puberty, from kindergarten to puberty, when children don’t have the chemicals to make rational decisions, no. I believe it’s the family that’s the support, and there needs to be feedback to that family. To me, that’s one of the issues: I want communication between families, parents need communication to know what’s going on.

Vanessa MacLean

None of us are for bullying. We all want every kid to feel safe in schools, and respected. But where SOGI is crossing the line is it’s forcing indoctrination on our children. I’ll just read a couple of language dos and don’ts. It says, telling teachers “don’t refer to students as boys and girls or ladies and gentlemen. During sexual education, don’t say it’s normal to  develop romantic feelings for the opposite sex.” There are other teaching resources that are asking children in kindergarten, “do you ever feel like you’re trapped in the wrong body? Born in the wrong body?” Asking questions like that… let’s just stick to anti-bullying, why are we trying to get these thoughts in their heads and manipulate them, and asking boys “do you ever feel like wearing a dress?”

John Kerr

Through my almost 40 years in public education, I’ve been a strong believer in inclusion, acceptance, and diversity and safety of the children in our schools. SOGI 123 is not a curriculum, it is not a program, it’s a resource for teachers to use in a responsible manner when necessary. It is nothing more than that. Thank you.

Daryl Hagen

I’m so glad we have a diversity of views on these issues. I wake up every morning and thank God for the life I’ve been given. I studied theology, was a minister for a while. I ran a jail for 30 years. I’ve seen everything: multiple murders, rapists, killers, you know I’ve seen the worst. I’ve found over those years that recognition of people reduces the amount of bullying that occurs. Are there divorced families here? Yes, there are. Are there people here who are handicapped? Yes. Look at mental illnesses… 14, 000 people over the last years have died and we’re talking about sexual orientation? Excuse me, I think our priorities are: let’s get the bullying out of schools, let’s get things that are right. 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -