Listen Live
HomeNewsAll-candidates forum for North Island-Powell River candidates tomorrow night at NIC

All-candidates forum for North Island-Powell River candidates tomorrow night at NIC

With the federal election just days away, candidates in the North Island-Powell River riding will be looking to make an impression tomorrow night in Courtenay.

NIC Bachelor of Science in Nursing students are hosting an all-candidates forum at North Island College’s Comox Valley campus.

It gets underway at 7:00pm at the Stan Hagen Theatre

The event is free, open to the public and will be moderated.

The students are hosting the event as part of their NUR-404: Engaging in Leadership course.

“We wanted to encourage the public and, in particular, students to engage in the 2019 federal election,” said Lydia Hardy, one of the student organizers. 

“Students have a significant stake in the future of our country. This event will provide a platform to bring student voices forward to our candidates and present people with an opportunity to connect with their candidates and make an informed decision when voting.”

All seven candidates running for the North Island-Powell River riding will be taking part including Rachel Blaney, NDP; Mark de Bruijn, Green Party; Shelley Downey, Conservative Party; Carla Neal, Marxist-Leninist; Brian Rundle, People’s Party of Canada; Peter Schwarzhoff, Liberal Party; and Glen Staples, independent.

“We’ve been speaking with students at NIC and gathering questions on the most popular topics we’re hearing about from them,” said Hardy.

You will also be able to submit questions on the night of the event. 

The final questions will be chosen by relevance to the federal election and the number of similar questions submitted on each topic.

The event will also feature a meet-and-greet with candidates before the forum, starting at 6:00pm.  The last opportunity to submit questions is at 6:50pm.

Federal election day is Oct. 21.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -