Listen Live
HomeNewsNorth Island College celebrates expansion at Campbell River campus

North Island College celebrates expansion at Campbell River campus

North Island College students now have better access to state-of-the-art facilities and programs. 

This comes following yesterday’s opening of the expanded campus in Campbell River.

“This campus expansion project means that students on the North Island won’t have to leave home to gain the skills they will need to participate in the economy of the future,” says North Island MLA Claire Trevena. “I am pleased that the next generation of tradespeople, business leaders and health-care professionals will be able to complete their training in Campbell River.”

It was all made possible after the college was given $5.8 million in funding from the Government of Canada’s Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund.

This fund allows for the modernization of facilities at Canadian universities and colleges.

The Government of British Columbia donated $8.6 million, while an additional $3.6 million came from the college and its donors.

“We’re thankful for the partnership between the Government of Canada, the Province of B.C. and NIC on this project,” says NIC President John Bowman. “The expanded facilities at our Campbell River campus ensure we can continue to provide students an exceptional learning experience, expanded programming and will make NIC an educational destination of choice on Vancouver Island.”

All students on campus will benefit from an upgraded cafeteria space, a library and learning commons, bookstore and an enhanced learning environment.

This includes new industrial trades and kitchen facilities, as well as the area’s first-ever health simulation lab.

The Campbell River campus expansion will feature a new computer information systems program, expanded business administration and the intake of over 80 international students.

New cafeteria at NIC’s Campbell River campus (Photo supplied by: Ethan Morneau/MyCampbellRiverNow.com staff)
New learning commons space at NIC’s Campbell River campus (Photo supplied by: Ethan Morneau/MyCampbellRiverNow.com staff)
- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -