Listen Live
HomeNewsIsland Health says keep button batteries away from kids

Island Health says keep button batteries away from kids

Island Health is warning parents about button batteries. The agency says they need to be kept out of the reach of children.

Island Health says they can cause significant medical damage and even death in children who swallow them. The electrical charge in a button battery reacts with the body’s tissues and fluids, leading to internal burns in as little as two hours.

Button batteries can be found in musical greeting cards, remote controls, children’s books, flashlights, flashing jewellery, hearing aids and key chain accessories among other things. You can find more information about battery safety at Health Canada’s website.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -