CAMPBELL RIVER, B.C.- Local fire crews teamed up with Hazmat operators to deal with a chemical spill this weekend.
Campbell River Fire Deputy Chief Kelly Bellefleur said the incident happened on Saturday afternoon in the backyard of a home in the Ocean Grove area.
“Once the crew got on scene, they found a two kilogram container of bromine, which was inadvertently mixed with some water and it was off gassing,” he said.
Bromine is a chemical used in hot tubs and pools for water treatment.
“The crew consulted with Hazmat specialists back east and were able to safely contain the mixture and then they relocated it to a safe area for the proper disposal of the products.”
Bellefleur said there were no injuries, and this incident is a good example of a homeowner doing the right thing and calling the fire department, instead of trying to deal with the problem themselves.