Listen Live
HomeNewsLast chance for adult high school grads to upgrade for free

Last chance for adult high school grads to upgrade for free

Time is running out for adult grads to take high school courses for free.


“We want the community to know that a change is coming for adult learners who have graduated from high school,” said Greg Johnson, district principal of aboriginal education and alternate programs.


“After May 1, the Ministry of Education will no longer fund high school courses for graduated adults.”

April 17 is the last day for grads to start a course without having to pay through School District 72’s Continuing Education program at Robron Centre. The first unit must be completed by April 25 in order for the course to be funded.


After that, graduated adults will have to pay $500 per course in tuition fees. (An adult is any person who turned 19 before July 1, 2014.)


“We want our adult grad students to check in with us so that they are clear about what this means for them,” said Johnson. “This also has implications for high school students who might rush to graduate, planning to take more courses afterward.”


Many graduated adults go back to school to upgrade marks, or to take courses they need to get into college programs or for an employment opportunity – usually English, math, biology or chemistry.


Basic courses in English and math will continue to be free for grads, including courses to help them prepare for college English and math assessments.


School District 72’s Continuing Education Program at Robron Centre offers adults flexible, self-paced courses that can be done either online or in person. Students can start at any time during the school year.


Several hundred adults are served by Continuing Education each year. About a quarter of those adults are grads.


A majority of adult students want to finish high school to get their diploma. Those adults will continue to be able to take courses for free.


There is still time for grads to start upgrading before fees start.


For more information, make an appointment with the counsellor at Robron Centre at (250) 923-4918 Local 2.

– Contributed by School District 72.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -