Listen Live
HomeNewsElectrical issue in garage believed to have sparked Murray Place house fire

Electrical issue in garage believed to have sparked Murray Place house fire

We’re getting a clearer picture as to what caused a home in Campbell River to be engulfed in flames.

Fire chief Thomas Doherty said all signs point to an electrical issue in the garage that sparked the June 17th blaze.

READ MORE: Campbell River home consumed by flames

“Last I heard from the investigators, they were focusing on an area in the garage, where there were some electrical components,” Doherty said. “Like some battery charging equipment and a power bar.”

- Advertisement -

At around 6:20pm last Wednesday, the North Island fire dispatch center received multiple calls reporting a house fire on Murray Place, off of Shellbourne Boulevard.

When crews arrived on scene, the front of the house was completely enveloped in flames with the fire growing rapidly.

“Crews from both stations responded with a total of five apparatus and some support vehicles,” says Deputy Fire Chief Kelly Bellefleur.

Bellefleur says working smoke alarms alerted those inside the home of the fire, allowing them and their pets to escape unharmed.

- Advertisement -

Power in the area was turned off briefly while BC Hydro isolated electricity to improve safety for firefighters.

“While there was extensive damage to the home, crews were able to recover some personal items for the family,” Bellefleur says.

He adds that there was also minor damage to the two homes next door and to an RV in the driveway. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -