Someone nearly set the community centre on fire last night in Campbell River.
According to social media posts, sometime after 2 am firefighters were called to put out a large blaze that had started in a planter beside the centre’s southwest entrance near Cedar Street. Photos taken by a security guard show flames spread from the planter and climbed to the top of the tree beside the entrance.
The blaze was quickly put out, but the wall was badly scorched and the tree was damaged.
Fire Chief Dan Verdun says the department has been busy lately with human-caused fires in town, and has dealt with 20 fire calls in the last six days. Of those fires 18 were outside, and two were structure fires.
He says the department is concerned about fires being lit for any reason because of ongoing dry conditions. He adds the department has seen an increase in unattended fires in limited-access areas.